• The pituitary gland consists of an anterior lobe derived from the primitive gut and a neural lobe derived from the brain stem.
• The neural lobe receives its blood supply directly through the superior and inferior hypophysial arteries.
• The anterior lobe receives its blood supply through a system of capillary beds arranged in series such that it is supplied with blood that first perfused the median eminence of the hypothalamus.
• The anterior lobe synthesizes and secretes six protein hormones: thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), growth hormone (GH), and prolactin (PRL).
• Secretion of the anterior pituitary hormones is controlled by hypothalamic neurons that secrete neurohormones into the hypophysial portal circulation and by hormones of their target glands.
• Secretion of posterior pituitary hormones is controlled by neural signals arising either within the brain or at peripheral sites.
Essential Medical Physiology, Third Edition
Was this article helpful?
One of the main home remedies that you need to follow to prevent gallstones is a healthy lifestyle. You need to maintain a healthy body weight to prevent gallstones. The following are the best home remedies that will help you to treat and prevent gallstones.