• Biologic membranes are composed of a phospholipid bilayer containing peripheral and integral proteins.
• Diffusion of nonelectrolytes takes place from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. The rate of diffusion across a membrane is a linear function of the concentration difference.
• The permeability coefficient for diffusion of a solute through the lipid matrix of the membrane increases with increasing solubility.
• Water-soluble solutes cross membranes by restricted diffusion though water-filled protein channels. The permeability coefficient for diffusion of uncharged solutes through channels decreases with increasing molecular radius.
The permeability coefficients of ions depend on radius and charge.
• The rate of diffusion of charged solutes depends on both the concentration gradient and the electrical potential difference across the membrane.
• Diffusion potentials arise to preserve electro-neutrality in the face of differences in ion mobility.
• The orientation of a diffusion potential is such that it accelerates the movement of less mobile ions and retards the movement of more mobile ions.
• The Nernst potential is the electrical potential difference at which there is no ionic flow in
Essential Medical Physiology, Third Edition
Was this article helpful?
One of the main home remedies that you need to follow to prevent gallstones is a healthy lifestyle. You need to maintain a healthy body weight to prevent gallstones. The following are the best home remedies that will help you to treat and prevent gallstones.