• Physiologic processes have evolved to maintain the constancy or stability of the internal environment. This tendency toward maintenance of physiologic stability is homeostasis.
• Living things are open systems.
• The total body water is contained within two major compartments—the intracellular compartment and the extracellular compartment. The intracellular compartment is further subdivided into the plasma and the interstitial fluid compartments.
• The intracellular compartment is characterized by low intracellular Na+ and Cl~ concentrations and a high K+ concentration. The intracellular compartment comprises approximately 25 L, which is approximately 35% of total body weight.
• The extracellular compartment is divided into the plasma and interstitial compartments; the former comprises approximately 3 L and the latter approximately 12 L. These compartments are characterized by high Na+ and Cl~ concentrations and a low K+ concentration.
• Four organs provide the interfaces between the extracellular fluid compartment and the outside world: the skin, alimentary canal, lung, and kidney. The proper interactions among these organs and the external environment is essential for homeostasis.
Essential Medical Physiology, Third Edition
Was this article helpful?
One of the main home remedies that you need to follow to prevent gallstones is a healthy lifestyle. You need to maintain a healthy body weight to prevent gallstones. The following are the best home remedies that will help you to treat and prevent gallstones.