Modification Of Milk Composition

Transfer of genes to alter milk composition has thus far received little research emphasis, but offers the dairy industry considerable potential for the future. A list of potential changes in milk components worthy of consideration is shown in Table 1.

About 80% of milk protein from cows is composed of caseins (S1, S2, and k), and whey proteins (b-lactoglob-ulin, a-lactalbumin, serum albumin, and g-globulin) make up the remaining 20%.

The caseins form the curds in cheese, whereas the whey proteins represent a less valuable by-product. Elimination of b-lactoglobulin from milk would benefit cheese production because it inhibits rennin's action on k-casein,[4] and would benefit certain fluid milk consumers because b-lactoglobulin is responsible for some milk allergies. Removal of b-lactoglobulin from cattle is now technically feasible during transfection of fetal fibroblasts that are then used for nuclear transfer.[7]

While removal of a-lactalbumin (a-lac) from cows' milk may be beneficial for some consumers, researchers at the University of Illinois have shown that increased concentrations of lactose, which result from a-lac expression, may be beneficial for piglet growth.[8] They produced transgenic pigs that express bovine a-lactalbu-min in their milk, which results in a higher milk lactose content in early lactation and a 20 to 50% greater milk yield on days 3 9 of lactation, compared to that of control sows. Weight gain of piglets suckling a-lac sows was greater at days 7 and 21 after parturition than that of control piglets. Thus, overexpression of a-lac milk protein provides a means for improving growth performance of piglets through enhanced lactation of sows.

How To Bolster Your Immune System

How To Bolster Your Immune System

All Natural Immune Boosters Proven To Fight Infection, Disease And More. Discover A Natural, Safe Effective Way To Boost Your Immune System Using Ingredients From Your Kitchen Cupboard. The only common sense, no holds barred guide to hit the market today no gimmicks, no pills, just old fashioned common sense remedies to cure colds, influenza, viral infections and more.

Get My Free Audio Book


Post a comment