1. Axford, R.F.E.; Bishop, S.C.; Nicholas, F.W.; Owen, J.B. Breeding for Disease Resistance in Farm Animals, 2nd Ed.; CABI Publishing, 2000.
2. Office International des Epizooties Genetic resistance to animal diseases. Rev. Sci. Tech. 1998, 17 (1).
3. Edfors Lilja, I.; Wallgren, P. Escherichia coli and Salmo nella Diarrhoea in Pigs. In Breeding for Disease Resistance, 2nd Ed.; Axford, R.F.E., Bishop, S.C., Nicholas, F.W., Owen, J.B., Eds.; CABI Publishing, 2000; 253 267.
4. Bacon, L.D. Influence of the major histocompatability complex on disease resistance and productivity. Poultry Sci. 1987, 66, 802 811.
5. Maillard, J.C.; Chantal, I.; Berthier, D.; Stachursky, F.; Elsen, J.M. Molecular markers of genetic resistance and susceptibility to bovine dermatophilosis. Arch. Tierz. (Archives of Animal Breeding) 1987, 42, S93 S96. (2003).
6. Hunter, N. Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies. In Breeding for Disease Resistance, 2nd Ed.; Axford, R.F.E., Bishop, S.C., Nicholas, F.W., Owen, J.B., Eds.; CABI Publishing, 2000; 325 339.
7. Khibnik, A.I.; Kondrashov, A.S. Three mechanisms of Red Queen dynamics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B Biol. Sci. 1997, 264, 1049 1056.
8. MacKenzie, K.; Bishop, S.C. A discrete time epidemiolog ical model to quantify selection for disease resistance. Anim. Sci. 1999, 69, 543 552.
Joan H. Eisemann
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.A.
Was this article helpful?
Studies show obesity may soon overtake tobacco as the leading cause of death in world. Who Else Could Use 101 'Everyday' Ways to Lose 10 Pounds or more and Keep it Off! You've been putting it off too long. Hey, everyone needs to lose weight from time to time. You're no different!