1. Greaser, M.L. Conversion of Muscle to Meat. In Muscle as Food; Bechtel, P.J., Ed.; Academic Press: New York, 1986; 37 102.
2. Greaser, M.L. Post Mortem Muscle Chemistry. In Meat Science and Applications; Hui, Y.H., Nip, W. K., Rodgers, R.W., Young, O.A., Eds.; Marcel Dekker, Inc.: New York, 2001; 21 37.
3. Bendall, J.R. Postmortem Changes in Muscle. In The Structure and Function of Muscle, 2nd Ed.; Bourne, G.H., Ed.; Academic Press: New York, 1973; Vol. 2, 243 309.
4. Ho, C.Y.; Stromer, M.H.; Robson, R.M. Effect of electrical stimulation on postmortem titin, nebulin, desmin, and troponin T degradation and ultrastructural changes in bovine longissimus muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 1996, 74, 1563 1575.
5. Kushmerick, M.J.; Davies, R.E. The role of phosphate compounds in thaw contraction and the mechanism of thaw rigor. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1968, 153, 279 287.
6. Locker, R.H.; Hagyard, C.J. A cold shortening effect in beef muscles. J. Sci. Food. Agric. 1963, 14, 787 793.
7. Fujii, J.; Otsu, K.; Zorzato, F.; de Leon, S.; Khanna, V.K.; Weiler, J.E.; O'Brien, P.J.; MacLennan, D.H. Identification of a mutation in porcine ryanodine receptor associated with malignant hyperthermia. Science 1991, 253, 448 451.
8. Tarrant, P.V. The Occurrence, Causes, and Economic Consequences of Dark Cutting Beef A Survey of Current Information. In The Problem of Dark Cutting Beef; Hood, D.E., Tarrant, P.V., Eds.; Martinus Nijhoff: Hague, The Netherlands, 1998; 3 34.
9. Kauffman, R.G.; van Laack, R.L.J.M.; Russell, R.L.; Pospiech, E.; Cornelius, C.A.; Suckow, C.E.; Greaser, M.L. Can pale, soft, exudative pork be prevented by postmortem sodium bicarbonate injection? J. Anim. Sci. 1998, 76, 3010 3015.
10. Bendall, J.R. The Electrical Stimulation of Carcasses of Meat Animals. In Developments in Meat Science; Lawrie, R., Ed.; Applied Science Publishers LTD: London, 1980; Vol 1, 37 59.
11. Roeber, D.L.; Cannell, R.C.; Belk, K.E.; Tatum, J.D.; Smith, G.C. Effects of a unique application of electrical stimulation on tenderness, color, and quality attributes of the beef longissimus muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 2000, 78, 1504 1509.
Was this article helpful?
Are you looking to lose weight or even just tone up? What is stopping you from having the body you want and help you feel great at the same time? I created Weight Loss All-Star for all those wanting to lose weight, and keep the weight off. I know how hard it is to do diets and stick with them, and get the motivation to get up and exercise.