1. Price, E.O.; Harris, J.E.; Borgwardt, R.E.; Sween, M.L.; Connor, J.M. Fence line contact of beef calves with their dams at weaning reduces the negative effects of separation on behavior and growth rate. J. Anim. Sci. 2003, 81, 116 121.
2. Haley, D.B.; Stookey, J.M.; Bailey, D.W. A Procedure to Reduce the Stress of Weaning on Beef Cattle: On Farm Trials of Two Step Weaning. In Proceedings International
Society for Applied Ethology, Fifth North American Regional Meeting of the ISAE, July 20 21, 2002; Haley, D., Harris, M., Pajor, E., Bergeron, R., Eds.; Universite Laval: Canada, 2002; 8.
3. Tarrant, P.V. Transportation of cattle by road. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 1990, 28, 153 170.
4. Kenny, F.J.; Tarrant, P.V. The physiological and behav ioural response of crossbred Friesan steers to short haul transport by road. Livestock Production Science 1987, 17, 63 75.
5. Tarrant, P.V.; Kenny, F.J.; Harrington, D. The effect of stocking density during 4 hour transport to slaughter on behavior, blood constituents and carcass bruising in Friesian steers. Meat Sci. 1988, 24, 209 222.
6. Trunkfield, H.R.; Broom, D.M. The welfare of calves during handling and transport. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 1990, 28, 135 152.
7. Blackshaw, J.K.; Blackshaw, A.K.; McGlone, J.J. Buller steer syndrome review. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 1997, 54, 97 108.
8. West, J.W. Effects of heat stress on production in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 2003, 86 (6), 2131 2144.
9. Mader, T. Keep Feedlot Cattle Cool Even in Drought, 2000. Available http://ianrnews.unl.edu/static/0006200. shtml (accessed December 15, 2003).
10. Loerch, S.C.; Fluharty, F.L. Use of trainer animals to improve performance and health of newly arrived feedlot calves. J. Anim. Sci. 2000, 78, 1117 1124.
Was this article helpful?
Are you looking to lose weight or even just tone up? What is stopping you from having the body you want and help you feel great at the same time? I created Weight Loss All-Star for all those wanting to lose weight, and keep the weight off. I know how hard it is to do diets and stick with them, and get the motivation to get up and exercise.