By the end of this chapter you will be able to:
• calculate a patient's normal fluid requirements
• understand how fluid balance is affected by illness
• understand the concept of the "third space" and capillary leak
• understand the principles of volume resuscitation
• know about the different types of fluid available including blood
• apply this to your clinical practice
The main aim of fluid therapy in critical illness is to restore tissue perfusion and optimise organ function by correcting hypovolaemia.
Was this article helpful?