• Only a few RCTs have been conducted on systemic agents. In particular, no RCTs have tested doxycycline, clarithromycin or azithromycin.
• Many RCTs have been performed with topical drugs. In particular, metronidazole has been extensively and thoroughly studied.
• All the drugs examined, except rimelnidine, were found to be effective.
• Side-effects were surprisingly minimal, even for drugs such as tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide that are well-known irritants.
• In most studies, a high rate of response to placebo was found.
• The majority of RCTs have been directly supported by the manufacturer of the drug tested.
Was this article helpful?
Do You Suffer From the Itching and Scaling of Psoriasis? Or the Chronic Agony of Psoriatic Arthritis? If so you are not ALONE! A whopping three percent of the world’s populations suffer from either condition! An incredible 56 million working hours are lost every year by psoriasis sufferers according to the National Psoriasis Foundation.