1. Colloff MJ, Lever RS, McSharry C. A controlled trial of house dust mite eradication using natamycin in homes of patients with atopic dermatitis: effect on clinical status and mite populations [see comments]. Br J Dermatol 1989;121:199-208.
2. Endo K, Fukuzumi T, Adachi J et al Effect of vacuum cleaning of room floors and bed clothes of patients on house dust mites counts and clinical scores of atopic dermatitis. A double blind control trial. Arerugi (Jpn J Allergology) 1997;46:1013-24.
3. Tan BB, Weald D, Strickland I, Friedmann PS. Double-blind controlled trial of effect of housedust-mite allergen avoidance on atopic dermatitis. Lancet 1996;347:15-18.
4. Holm L, Ohman S, Bengtsson A, van Hage-Hamsten M, Scheynius A. Effectiveness of occlusive bedding in the treatment of atopic dermatitis - a placebo-controlled trial of 12 months duration. Allergy 2001;56:152-8.
5. Gutgesell C, Heise S, Seubert S et al Double-blind placebo-controlled house dust mite control measures in adult patients with atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol 2001;145:70-4.
6. Ricci G, Patrizi A, Specchia F et al. Effect of house dust mite avoidance measures in children with atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol 2000; 143:379-84.
7. Charman C. Atopic eczema. In: Godlee F, ed. Clinical Evidence. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 2001.
8. Atherton DJ, Sewell M, Soothill JF, Wells RS, Chilvers CE. A double-blind controlled crossover trial of an antigen-avoidance diet in atopic eczema. Lancet 1978; 1:401-3.
9. Munkvad M, Danielsen L, Hoj L et al. Antigen-free diet in adult patients with atopic dermatitis. A double-blind controlled study. Acta Derm Venereol 1984;64:524-8.
10. Cant AJ, Bailes JA, Marsden RA, Hewitt D. Effect of maternal dietary exclusion on breast fed infants with eczema: two controlled studies. BMJ (Clin Res Ed) 1986;293:231-3.
11. Neild VS, Marsden RA, Bailes JA, Bland JM. Egg and milk exclusion diets in atopic eczema. Br J Dermatol 1986;114:117-23.
12. Mabin DC, Sykes AE, David TJ. Controlled trial of a few foods diet in severe atopic dermatitis. Arch Dis Child 1995;73:202-7.
13. Isolauri EMD, Sutas YMD, Makinen-Kiljunen SMSc, Oja Simo S MD, Isosomppi RMSc, Turjanmaa KMD. Efficacy and safety of hydrolyzed cow milk and amino acid-derived formulas in infants with cow milk allergy. J Pediatr 1995;127:550-7.
14. Majama H, Isolauri E. Probiotics: a novel approach in the management of food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;99:179-85.
15. Lever R, MacDonald C, Waugh P, Aitchison T. Randomised controlled trial of advice on an egg exclusion diet in young children with atopic eczema and sensitivity to eggs. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 1998;9:13-19.
16. Niggemann B, Binder C, Dupont C, Hadji S, Arvola T, Isolauri E. Prospective, controlled, multi-center study on the effect of an amino-acid-based formula in infants with cow's milk allergy/intolerance and atopic dermatitis. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2001; 12:78-82.
17. Sloper KS, Wadsworth J, Brostoff J. Children with atopic eczema I: clinical response to food elimination and subsequent double-blind food challenge. Q J Med 1991;80:677-93.
18. Devlin J, David TJ. Tartrazine in atopic eczema. Arch Dis Child 1992;67:709-11.
19. James JM, Bernhisel-Broadbent J, Sampson HA. Respiratory reactions provoked by double-blind food challenges in children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994;149:59-64.
20. Fuglsang G, Madsen G, Halken S, Jorgensen S, Ostergaard PA, Osterballe O. Adverse reactions to food additives in children with atopic symptoms. Allergy 1994;49:31-7.
21. Kanny G, Hatahet R, Moneret-Vautrin DA, Kohler C, Bellut A. Allergy and intolerance to flavouring agents in atopic dermatitis in young children. Allerg Immunol (Paris) 1994;26:204-6.
22. Sampson HA. Comparative study of commercial food antigen extracts for the diagnosis of food hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1988;82:718-26.
23. Sampson HA, Ho DG. Relationship between food-specific IgE concentrations and the risk of positive food challenges in children and adolescents. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;100:444-51.
24. David TJ. Food and Food Additive Intolerance in Childhood. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1993.
25. Armstrong NC, Ernst E. The treatment of eczema with Chinese herbs: a systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1999;48:262-4.
26. Sheehan MP, Atherton DJ. A controlled trial of traditional chinese medicinal plants in widespread non-exudative atopic eczema. Br J Dermatol 1992;126:179-84.
27. Sheehan MP, Rustin MH, Atherton DJ et al. Efficacy of traditional Chinese herbal therapy in adult atopic dermatitis. Lancet 1992;340:13-17.
28. Fung AY, Look PC, Chong LY, But PP, Wong E. A controlled trial of traditional Chinese herbal medicine in Chinese patients with recalcitrant atopic dermatitis. Int J Dermatol 1999;38:387-92.
29. Latchman Y, Banerjee P, Poulter LW, Rustin M, Brostoff J. Association of immunological changes with clinical efficacy in atopic eczema patients treated with traditional Chinese herbal therapy (zemaphyte). Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1996;109:243-9.
30. Sheehan MP, Atherton DJ. One year follow-up of children treated with Chinese medicinal herbs for atopic eczema. Br J Dermatol 1994;130:488-93.
31. Rothe MJ, Grant-Kels JM. Diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis. Lancet 1996;348:1391-2.
32. Andersen PH, Bindslev-Jensen C, Mosbech H, Zachariae H, Andersen KE. Skin symptoms in patients with atopic dermatitis using enzyme-containing detergents. A placebo-controlled study. Acta Derm Venereol 1998;78:60-2.
33. Hermanns J, Goffin V, Arrese J, Rodriguez C. Beneficial effects of softened fabrics on atopic skin. Dermatology 2001;202:167-70.
34. Diepgen TL, Stabler A, Hornstein OP. Irritation from textiles in atopic eczema and controls. Textile intolerance in atopic eczema: a controlled clinical study. Z Hautkr 1990;65:907-10.
35. Diepgen TL, Salzer B, Tepe A, Hornstein OP. A study of skin irritations by textiles under standardized sweating conditions in patients with atopic eczema. Melliand English 1995;12:268.
36. Seymour JL, Keswick BH, Hanifin JM, Jordan WP, Milligan MC. Clinical effects of diaper types on the skin of normal infants and infants with atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987;17:988-97.
37. Noren P. Habit reversal: a turning point in the treatment of atopic dermatitis. Clin Exp Dermatol 1995;20:2-5.
38. Melin L, Frederiksen T, Noren P, Swebilius BG. Behavioural treatment of scratching in patients with atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol 1986;115:467-774.
39. Noren P, Melin L. The effect of combined topical steroids and habit-reversal treatment in patients with atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol 1989;121:359-66.
40. Ehlers A, Stangier U, Gieler U. Treatment of atopic dermatitis: a comparison of psychological and dermatological approaches to relapse prevention. J Consult Clin Psychol 1995;63:624-35.
Was this article helpful?
Do you hate the spring? Do you run at the site of a dog or cat? Do you carry around tissues wherever you go? Youre not alone. 51 Ways to Reduce Allergies can help. Find all these tips and more Start putting those tissues away. Get Your Copy Of 51 Ways to Reduce Allergies Today.