1. Norwood OT. Male pattern baldness classification and Incidence. South Med J 1975;68:1359-65.
2. Sinclair R. Male pattern androgenetic alopecia. BMJ 1998;317:865-9.
3. Whiting DA. Male pattern hair loss: current understanding. Int J Dermatol 1998;37:561-6.
4. Ludwig E. Classification of the types of androgenetic alopecia (common baldness) occurring in the female sex. Br J Dermatol 1977;97:247-54.
5. Olsen EA. Female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001;45:S70-80.
6. Hamilton JB. Patterned loss of hair in man: types and incidence. Ann NY Acad Sci 1951;53:708-28.
7. Birch MP, Messenger JF, Messenger AG. Hair density, hair diameter and the prevalence of female pattern hair loss. Br J Dermatol 2001;144:297-304.
8. Paus R, Cotsarelis G. The biology of hair follicles. N Engl J Med 1999;341:491-7.
9. Bayne EK, Flanagan J, Einstein M et al Immunohistochemical localization of type 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase in human scalp. Br J Dermatol 1999;141:481-91.
10. Sawaya ME, Price VH. Different levels of 5alpha-reductase type I and II, aromatase, and androgen receptor in hair follicles of women and men with androgenetic alopecia. J Invest Dermatol 1997;109: 296-300.
11. Canfield D. Photographic documentation of hair growth in androgenetic alopecia. Dermatol Clin 1996;14:713-21.
12. Whiting DA. Chronic telogen effluvium: increased scalp hair shedding in middle-aged women. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996;35:899-906.
13. Katz HI, Hien NT, Prawer SE, Goldman SJ. Long-term efficacy of topical minoxidil in male pattern baldness. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987; 16:711-18.
14. De Groot A, Nater JP, Herxheimer A. Minoxidil: hope for the bald? Lancet 1987;329:1019-22.
15. Rushton DH, Unger WP, Cotteril PC et al Quantitative assessment of 2% topical minoxidil in the treatment of male pattern baldness. Clin Exp Dermatol 1989;14:40-6.
16. Savin RC, Atton AV. Minoxidil. Update on its clinical role. Dermatol Clin 1993;11:55-64.
17. Price VH, Menefee E, Strauss PC. Changes in hair weight and hair count in men with androgenetic alopecia, after application of 5% and 2% topical minoxidil, placebo, or no treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;41:717-21.
18. Lachgar S, Charveron M, Gall Y, Bonafe JL. Minoxidil upregulates the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in human hair dermal papilla cells. Br J Dermatol 1998;138:407-11.
19. Yano K, Brown LF, Detmar M. Control of hair growth and follicle size by VEGF-mediated angiogenesis. J Clin Invest 2001;107:409-17.
20. Kaufman KD, Olsen EA, Whiting D et al. Finasteride in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss). J Am Acad Dermatol 1998;36:578-89.
21. Van Neste D, Fuh V, Sanchez-Pedreno P et al. Finasteride increases anagen hair in men with androgenetic alopecia. Br J Dermatol 2000; 143:804-10.
22. Leyden J, Dunlap F, Miller B et al. Finasteride in the treatment of men with frontal male pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;40:930-7.
23. The Finasteride Male Pattern Hair Loss Study Group. Long-term (5-year) multinational experience with finasteride 1 mg in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia. Eur J Dermatol 2002;12:38-49.
24. Overstreet JW, Fuh VL, Gould J et al. Chronic treatment with finasteride daily does not affect spermatogenesis or semen production in young men. J Urol 1999;162: 1295-300.
25. Rittmaster RS. Finasteride. N Engl J Med 1994;330:120-5.
26. Drake L, Hordinsky M, Fiedler V et al. The effects of finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgen levels in men with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;41:550-4.
27. DeVillez RL, Jacobs JP, Szpunar CA, Warner ML. Androgenetic alopecia in the female. Treatment with 2% topical minoxidil solution. Arch Dermatol 1994;130:303-7.
28. Olsen EA. Topical minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in women. Cutis 1991;48:243-8.
29. Orme S, Cullen DR, Messenger AG. Diffuse female hair loss: are androgens necessary? Br J Dermatol 1999; 141: 521-3.
30. Vexiau P, Chaspoux C, Boudou P et al. Effects of minoxidil 2% v. cyproterone acetate treatment on female androgenetic alopecia: a controlled, 12-month randomized trial. Br J Dermatol 2002;146:992-9.
Was this article helpful?