1. Sackett DL, Haynes RB, Guyatt GH, Tugwell P. Clinical Epidemiology. A Basic Science for Clinical Medicine. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1991:441.
2. Greenhalgh T. How to Read a Paper. The Basics of Evidence Based Medicine. London: BMJ Books, 1997:196.
3. Lau J, lonnidis JPA, Schmid CH. Summing up evidence: one answer is not always enough. Lancet 1998;351:123-7.
4. Lau J, Antman EM, Jimenez-Silva J, Kupelnick B, Mosteller F, Chalmers TC. Cumulative meta-analysis of therapeutic trials for myocardial infarction [see comments]. N Engl J Med 1992;327:248-54.
5. Villar J, Carroli G, Belizan JM. Predictive ability of metaanalyses of randomised controlled trials [see comments]. Lancet 1995;345:772-6.
6. Cappelleri JC, loannidis JP, Schmid CH et al. Large trials v meta-analysis of smaller trials: how do their results compare? JAMA 1996;276:1332-8.
7. LeLorier J, Gregoire G, Benhaddad A, Lapierre J, Derderian F. Discrepancies between meta-analyses and subsequent large randomized, controlled trials. N Engl J Med 1997;337:536-42.
8. Chalmers I, Altman D, eds. Systematic Reviews. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1995.
9. Jadad AR, Moher M, Browman GP, Booker L, Sigouin C, Fuentes M. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses on treatment of asthma: critical evaluation. BMJ 2000;320: 537-40.
10. Olsen O, Middleton P, Ezzo J, G0tzsche PC et al. Quality of Cochrane reviews: assessment of sample from 1998. BMJ 2001;323:829-32.
11. Sackett D, Richardson W, Rosenberg W, Haynes R. Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practise and Teach EBM. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1996:250.
12. Ball C, Sackett D, Phillips RBH, Straus S. Levels of evidence and grades of recommendations. http://cebm. jr2.ox.ac.uk/docs/levels.html (accessed 31 July 1999).
13. Jaeschke R, Guyatt G, Sackett DL. Users' guides to the medical literature Ill. How to use an article about a diagnostic test A. Are the results of the study valid? JAMA 1994;271:389-91.
14. Jaeschke R, Guyatt GH, Sackett DL. Users' guides to the medical literature Ill. How to use an article about a diagnostic test B. What are the results and will they help me in caring for my patients? JAMA 1994;271: 703-7.
15. Guyatt GH, Sackett DL, Cook DJ. Users' guides to the medical literature ll. How to use an article about therapy or prevention A. Are the results of the study valid? JAMA 1993;270:2598-601.
16. Guyatt GH, Sackett DL, Cook DJ. Users' guides to the medical literature ll. How to use an article about therapy or prevention B. What were the results and will they help me in caring for my patients? JAMA 1994;271:59-63.
17. Levine M, Walter S, Lee H, Haines T, Holbrook A, Moyer V. Users' guides to the medical literature lV. How to use an article about harm. JAMA 1994;271:1615-19.
18. Laupacis A, Wells G, Richardson WS, and Tugwell P. Users' guides to the medical literature V. How to use an article about prognosis. JAMA 1994;272:234-8.
19. Anonymous. Medical Research Council Streptomycin in Tuberculosis Trials Committee. Streptomycin treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. BMJ 1948;ii: 769-82.
20. Cochrane Collaboration. Cochrane Library. Issue 4. Oxford: Update Software, 2001.
21. Barton S. Which clinical studies provide the best evidence: the best RCT still trumps the best observational study. BMJ 2000;321:255-6.
22. Pocock SJ, Elbourne DR. Randomized trials or observational tribulations? N Engl J Med 2000;342:1907-9.
23. Kunz R, Oxman AD. The unpredictability paradox: review of empirical comparisons of randomised and non-randomised clinical trials. BMJ 1998;317:1185-90.
24. Bigby M, Gadenne A-S. Understanding and evaluating clinical trials. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996;34:555-90.
25. Hines DC, Goldheizer JW. Clinical investigation: a guide to its evaluation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1969;105:450-87.
26. Nisbett R, Ross L. Human Inference: Strategies and Shortcomings of Social Judgement Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc.,1980.
Was this article helpful?