Genetic Diathesis

Understanding the genetic underpinnings of schizophrenia has been an important area of research for decades and has been studied using a wide variety of methods, including linkage and association studies, longitudinal assessments of high-risk children, and twin studies. The possible importance of genetic factors was noted as early as 1895 by Koller, who reported an aggregation of psychiatric disorders in families, with psychoses showing the strongest genetic link (as cited in 10). In his 1907 psychiatry text, Kraepelin noted, referring to dementia praecox: ''defective heredity is a very prominent factor...'' (as cited in 11). Adoption studies in the 1960s and 1970s offered further clarification of genetic factors by quantifying the significant incidence of schizophrenia spectrum disorders in high-risk children who were not being raised by their biological parents [12,13]. More recent investigations suggest that the risk of developing schizophrenia in the offspring of affected mothers is approximately 10%, while the chances of becoming schizophrenic are roughly 50% if one's identical twin has the disorder [14]. For children with two schizophrenic parents, the risk of developing the disorder is 40% [15].

BiPolar Explained

BiPolar Explained

Bipolar is a condition that wreaks havoc on those that it affects. If you suffer from Bipolar, chances are that your family suffers right with you. No matter if you are that family member trying to learn to cope or you are the person that has been diagnosed, there is hope out there.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment