1. Glass vials, approx 25 mm in diameter and 80 mm in height, for fixation and the alcohol series.
2. Inner vials. Prepare from plastic tubes, 15 mm in diameter and 45 mm high. Heat a thin needle over a flame and stick it through the bottom of the tube to make small holes.
4. Petri dishes (glass), 90-100 mm in diameter, for dissection. Melt enough paraffin in a Petri dish at 60°C to form an approx 0.5-cm layer of solid paraffin when cooled.
5. Petri dishes, 40-50 mm in diameter.
6. Pasteur pipets.
7. Prepare cut Pasteur pipets by cutting the capillary part off in such a way that the new opening is large enough for collecting ovaries.
8. Insect pins; no. 000, 0, and 1 (e.g., Fine Science Tools) or tungsten needles.
9. Fine paint brushes.
10. Microscope slides, cover slips, 18 x 18, 24 x 32 mm2.
11. Filter paper.
13. Staining jars.
14. Fan, blowing cool air.
Was this article helpful?