1. Texas banana agar: Mix 20 g agar, 30 g dried brewer's yeast, and 1 L water. Autoclave. Add two blended bananas and 100 mL Karo syrup. Allow to cool slightly and add 5 mL propionic acid in 45 mL water. Pour into vials.
2. Yeast-glucose-agar (4): Mix 30 g agar, 100 g glucose, 100 g dried brewer's yeast, and 1 L water. Autoclave or boil to thicken. Cool slightly and add 5 mL propionic acid in 34 mL of water. Pour into vials.
3. Carolina instant fly food (Carolina Biological Supply). Add equal parts dried food flakes and water to vials.
4. Drosophila Ringers: To 1 L of water, add 7.5 g NaCl, 0.35 g KCl, and 0.21 g CaCl2.
5. PBS (phosphate-buffered saline): To 1 L of water, add 8 g NaCl, 0.2 g KCl, 1.15 g Na2HPO4, and 0.2 g NaH2PO4, pH 7.4.
8. No. 5 forceps (Fine Science Tools).
9. Lactic-acetic-Orcein (after Lim): Mix 1 g Gurr's natural orcein (Bio/Medical Specialties, Santa Monica, CA) in 50 mL concentrated lactic acid and allow to sit at room temperature for several hours, then filter. Mix 1 g of natural orcein in 50 mL glacial acetic acid and heat for several hours below boiling. Filter. Mix two acidic stains and water in 1 : 1 : 1 ratio.
10. Subbed slides: Prepare a 0.1% gelatin solution at 65°C; cool and add chromium potassium sulfate to 0.01%. Dip slides in solution, dry and store at 4°C.
11. Probe-On-Plus slides (Fisher).
12. Siliconized cover slips: Rinse cover slips in a solution of 5% dichlorodimethyl-silane in chloroform (Sigma-Aldrich). Note that this solution is highly volatile and toxic. Rinse extensively in water and bake at 180°C for 2 h.
13. Permount (Fisher).
Was this article helpful?