Under dire circumstances, when all other methods have failed to keep sectioned material adherent to glass surfaces, perform the following:
1. Mount sections in the usual way on albuminized slides.
2. Allow the sections to expand, drain off excess water, and air-dry overnight.
3. Lay the slides on a paper towel and put onto a shelf in a paraffin oven maintained at 56-58°C.
4. Keep the slides in the oven for 10-15 min to melt the paraffin onto the glass.
5. Take the slides out of the oven and allow the paraffin to solidify at room temperature.
6. Remove the paraffin with three 5-min changes in xylene.
7. Transfer the slides through two changes of absolute ethanol.
8. Coat individual slides by dipping into 0.25% Parlodion.
9. Harden the film in 95% ethanol and rehydrate the tissue to deionized water.
10. Transfer the slides to 5 N HCl and proceed with the Feulgen reaction (see Subheadings 3.3. and 3.4.).
Was this article helpful?