Special thanks to John E. Gastineau, Ph.D (physicist) for his assistance with the creation of this chapter. CHAPTER REFERENCES
1. Lopez RE, Holle RL: Demographics of lightning casualties. Semin Neurol 15:286, 1995.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Lightning-associated deaths: United States, 1980-1995. MMWR 22:391, 1998.
3. Cooper MA: Electrical and lightning injuries. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2:489, 1984.
4. Brigham PA: Lightning injuries revisited. Ann Emerg Med 26:528, 1994.
5. Cherington M: Lightning and transportation. Semin Neurol 15:362, 1995.
6. Cherington M, Mathys K: Deaths and injuries as a result of lightning strikes to aircraft. Aviat Space Environ Med 66:687, 1995.
7. Cherington M, Vervalin C: Lightning injuries: Who is at greatest risk? Phys Sports Med 15(8):59, 1990.
8. Blount BW: Lightning injuries. Am Fam Physician 42:405, 1990.
9. Cherington M: Lightning injuries. Ann Emerg Med 25:517, 1995.
10. Kleinschmidt-DeMasters BK: Neuropathology of lightning-strike injuries. Semin Neurol 15:323, 1995.
11. Cherington M, Yarnell P, Lammereste D: Lightning strikes: Nature of neurologic damage in patients evaluated in hospital emergency departments. Ann Emerg Med 21:575, 1992.
12. Ten Duis HJ, Klasen HJ, Reenalda PE: Keraunoparalysis, a 'specific' lightning injury. Burns Incl Therm Inj 12:54, 1985.
13. Resnik BI, Wetli CV: Lichtenberg figures. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 17:99, 1996.
14. Cooper MA: Lightning injuries: Prognostic signs for death. Ann Emerg Med 9:134, 1980.
15. Graber J, Ummenhofer W, Herion H: Lightning accident with eight victims: Case report and brief review of the literature. J Trauma 40:288, 1996.
16. Fontanarosa PB: Electrical shock and lightning strike. Ann Emerg Med 22(part 2):378, 1993.
17. Holle RL, Lopez RE, Howard KW, et al: Safety in the presence of lightning. Semin Neurol 15:375, 1995.
Was this article helpful?
Deal With Your Pain, Lead A Wonderful Life An Live Like A 'Normal' Person. Before I really start telling you anything about me or finding out anything about you, I want you to know that I sympathize with you. Not only is it one of the most painful experiences to have backpain. Not only is it the number one excuse for employees not coming into work. But perhaps just as significantly, it is something that I suffered from for years.