1. Kennedy JW, Ritchie JL, Davis KB, et al: The Western Washington randomized trial of intracoronary streptokinase in acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 312:1073, 1985.
2. ISAM Study Group: A prospective trial of intravenous streptokinase in acute myocardial infarction (ISAM): Mortality, morbidity, and infarct size at 21 days. N Engl J Med 314:1465, 1986.
3. ISIS-2 Collaborative Group: Randomized trial of intravenous streptokinase, oral aspirin, or neither among 17,187 cases of suspected AMI. Lancet 2:349, 1988.
4. Ryan TJ, Anderson JL, Antman EM, et al: ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with acute myocardial infarction: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Management of Acute Myocardial Infarction). J Am Coll Cardiol 28:1328, 1996.
5. International Study Group: In-hospital mortality and clinical course of 20,891 patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction randomized between alteplase and streptokinase with or without heparin. Lancet 336:71, 1990.
6. ISIS-3 Collaborative Group: A randomized comparison of streptokinase vs tissue plasminogen activator vs anistreplase and of aspirin plus heparin vs aspirin alone among 41,299 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction: ISIS-3. Lancet 339:753, 1992.
7. GUSTO Investigators: An international randomized trial comparing four thrombolytic strategies for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 329:673, 1993.
8. GUSTO Angiographic Investigators: The effects of tissue plasminogen activator, streptokinase, or both on coronary-artery patency, ventricular function, and survival after acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 329:1615, 1993.
9. GUSTO III Investigators: A comparison of reteplase with alteplase for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 337:1118, 1997.
10. Bittl JA: Advances in coronary angioplasty. N Engl J Med 335:1290, 1996.
11. Grines CL, Browne KF, Marco J, et al: A comparison of immediate angioplasty with thrombolytic therapy for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 328:673, 1993.
12. GUSTO IIB Angioplasty Substudy Investigators: A clinical trial comparing primary coronary angioplasty with tissue plasminogen activator for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med
13. Every NR, Parsons LS, Hlatky M, et al, for MITI Investigators: A comparison of thrombolytic therapy with primary coronary angioplasty for acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 335:1253, 1996.
14. Topol EJ: Toward a new frontier in myocardial reperfusion therapy: Emerging platelet preeminance. Circulation 97:211, 1998.
15. EPIC Investigators: Use of a monoclonal antibody directed against the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor in high risk coronary angioplasty. N Engl J Med 330:956, 1994.
16. EPILOG Investigators: Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade and low dose heparin during percutaneous coronary revascularization. N Engl J Med 336:1689, 1997.
17. CAPTURE Investigators. Randomized placebo-controlled trial of abciximab before and during acute coronary intervention in refractory unstable angina. Lancet 349:1429, 1997.
18. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management (PRISM) Study Investigators: A comparison of aspirin plus tirofiban with aspirin plus heparin for unstable angina. N Engl J Med 338:1498, 1998.
19. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management in Patients Limited by Unstable Signs and Symptoms (PRISM-PLUS) Study Investigators: Inhibition of the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor with tirofiban in unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 338:1488, 1998.
20. PURSUIT Investigators: Inhibition of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa with eptifibatide in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 339:436, 1998.
21. PARAGON Investigators: A randomized trial of potent platelet IIb/IIIa antagonism, heparin, or both in patients with unstable angina: The PARAGON study [abst]. Circulation 94(suppl I):I-553, 1996.
22. Antman EM: TIMI-14: Abciximab plus thrombolytic therapy, in George Washington University 13th International Workshop: Thrombolysis and Interventional Therapy in Acute Myocardial Infarction, Orlando, Florida, November 1997.
23. Collins R, Peto R, Baigent C, Sleight P: Aspirin, heparin, and fibrinolytic therapy in suspected acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 336:847, 1997.
24. Braunwald E, Mark DB, Jones RH, et al: Unstable Angina: Diagnosis and Management—Clinical Practice Guideline 10 (Amended). Rockville, MD, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research and the National Health, Lung and Blood Institute, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, May 1994; AHCPR publication 94-0602.
25. Balsano F, Rizzon P, Violoi F, et al: Antiplatelet treatment with ticlopidine in unstable angina: A controlled multicenter clinical trial—The Studio della Ticlopidina nell'Angina Instabile Group. Circulation 82:17, 1990.
26. Theroux P, Ouimet H, McCans J, et al: Aspirin, heparin or both to treat acute unstable angina. N Engl J Med 319:1105, 1988.
27. Theroux P, Waters D, Qiu S, et al: Aspirin versus heparin to prevent myocardial infarction during the acute phase of unstable angina. Circulation 88:2045, 1993.
28. Cohen M, Demers C, Gurfinkel EP, et al: A comparison of low molecular weight heparin with unfractionated heparin for unstable coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 337:447, 1997.
29. GUSTO IIA Investigators: Randomized trial of intravenous heparin versus recombinant hirudin for acute coronary syndromes. Circulation 90:1631, 1994.
30. Bittl JA, Strony J, Brinker JA: Treatment with bivalirudin (Hirulog) as compared with heparin during coronary angioplasty for unstable angina or postinfarction angina. N Engl J Med 333:764, 1995.
31. Anderson K, Dellborg M, for the TRIM Study Group: Heparin is more effective than inogatran, a low molecular weight thrombin inhibitor, in suppressing ischemia and recurrent angina in unstable coronary disease. Am J Cardiol 81:939, 1998.
32. Hennekins CH, Albert CM, Godfried SL, et al: Adjunctive drug therapy of acute myocardial infarction: Evidence from clinical trials. N Engl J Med 335:1660, 1996.
33. Judgutt BI, Warnica JW: Intravenous nitroglycerin therapy to limit myocardial infarct size, expansion, and complications: Effect of timing, dosage, and infarct location. Circulation 78:906, 1988.
34. Yusuf S, Collins R, McMahon S, Peto R: Effect of intravenous nitrates on mortality in acute myocardial infarction: An overview of randomized trials. Lancet 1:1088, 1988.
35. Fergusen JJ, Diver DJ, Boldt M, Pasternak RC: Significance of nitroglycerin-induced hypotension with inferior wall acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 64:311, 1989.
36. International Collaborative Study Group: Reduction of infarct size with the early use of timolol in acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 310:9, 1984.
37. MIAMI Trial Research Group: Metoprolol in acute myocardial infarction (MIAMI): A randomised placebo controlled international trial. Eur Heart J 6:199, 1985.
38. ISIS-1 Collaborative Group: Randomised trial of intravenous atenolol among 16,027 cases of suspected myocardial infarction: ISIS-1. Lancet 2:57, 1986.
39. TIMI Study Group. Comparison of invasive and conservative strategies after treatment with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator in acute myocardial infarction: Results of the TIMI phase II trial. N Engl J Med 320:618, 1989.
40. Latini R, Maggioni AP, Flather M, et al: ACE inhibitor use in patients with acute myocardial infarction: Summary of evidence from clinical trials. Circulation 92:3132, 1995.
41. Antman EM, Lau J, Kupelnick B, et al: A comparison of results of meta-analyses of randomized control trials and recommendations of clinical experts: Treatments for myocardial infarction. JAMA 268:240, 1992.
42. Woods KL, Fletcher S: Long term outcome after intravenous magnesium sulphate in suspected acute myocardial infarction: The second Leicaster Intravenous Magnesium Intervention Trial (LIMIT-2). Lancet 343:816, 1994.
43. Furberg CD, Patsy BM, Meyer JV: Nifedipine: Dose-related increase in mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. Circulation 92:1326, 1995.
44. Multicenter Diltiazem Postinfarction Trial Research Group: The effect of diltiazem on mortality and reinfarction after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 319:385, 1988.
45. Kinch JW, Ryan TJ: Right ventricular infarction. N Engl J Med 330:1211, 1994.
Was this article helpful?