1. Streicher HZ, Gabow PA, Moss AH, et al: Syndromes of toluene sniffing in adults. Ann Intern Med 94:758, 1981.
2. Gupta P, Singh RP, Murali MV, et al: Kerosene oil poisonings childhood menace. Indian Pediatr 29:979, 1992.
3. Ramsey J, Anderson HR, Bloor K, et al: An introduction to the practice, prevalence and chemical toxicology of volatile substance abuse. Hum Toxicol 8:261, 1989.
4. Litovitz TL, Klein-Schwartz WK, Dyer KS, et al: 1997 annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers Toxic Exposure Surveillance System. Am J Emerg Med 16:443, 1998.
5. Esmail A, Meyer L, Pottier A, et al: Deaths from volatile substance abuse in those under 18 years: Results from a national epidemiological study. Arch Disease Child 69:356, 1993.
6. Press E: Cooperative kerosene poisoning study: Evaluation of gastric lavage and other factors in the treatment of accidental ingestion of petroleum distillate products. Pediatrics 29:648, 1962.
7. Dice WH, Ward G, Kelley J, et al: Pulmonary toxicity following gastrointestinal ingestion of kerosene. Ann Emerg Med 11:138, 1982.
8. Anas N, Namasonthi V, Ginsburg CM: Criteria for hospitalizing children who have ingested products containing hydrocarbons. JAMA 246:840, 1981.
9. Machado B, Cross K, Snodgrass WR: Accidental hydrocarbon ingestion cases telephoned to a regional poison center. Ann Emerg Med 17:804, 1988.
10. Coulehan JL, Hirsch W, Brillman J, et al: Gasoline sniffing and lead toxicity in Navajo adolescents. Pediatrics 71:113, 1983.
11. Goodheart RS, Dunne JW: Petrol sniffer's encephalopathy: A study of 25 patients. Med J Australia 160:178, 1994.
12. Herskowitz A, Ishii N, Schaumburg H: N-Hexane neuropathy: A syndrome occurring as a result of industrial exposure. N Engl J Med 285:82, 1971.
13. Bass M: Sudden sniffing death. JAMA 212:2075, 1970.
14. Shepherd RT: Mechanism of death associated with volatile substance abuse. Hum Toxicol 8:289, 1989.
15. Baerg RD, Kimberg DV: Centrilobular hepatic necrosis and acute renal failure in "solvent sniffers." Ann Intern Med 73:713, 1970.
16. Ruprah M, Mant TGK, Flanagan RJ: Acute carbon tetrachloride poisoning in 19 patients: Implications for diagnosis and treatment. Lancet 1:1027, 1985.
17. Bombassei GJ, Kaplan AA: The association between hydrocarbon exposure and anti-glomerular basement membrane antibody-mediated disease (Goodpasture's syndrome). Am J Indust Med 21:141, 1992.
18. Mutti A, Alinovi R, Bergamaschi E, et al: Nephropathies and exposure to perchloroethylene in dry-cleaners. Lancet 340:189, 1992.
19. Rinsky RA, Smith AB, Hornung R, et al: Benzene and leukemia: An epidemiologic risk assessment. N Engl J Med 316:1044, 1987.
20. Algren JT, Rodgers CYC: Intravascular hemolysis associated with hydrocarbon poisoning. Pediatr Emerg Care 8: 34, 1992.
21. Leikin JB, Kaufman D, Lipscomb JW, et al: Methylene chloride: Report of five exposures and two deaths. Am J Emerg Med 8:534, 1990.
22. James NK, Moss AL: Review of burns caused by bitumen and the problems of its removal. Burns 16:214, 1990.
23. Dally S, Garnier R, Bismuth C: Diagnosis of chlorinated hydrocarbon poisoning by X-ray examination. Br J Ind Med 44:424, 1987.
24. Chyka PA: Benefits of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for hydrocarbon pneumonitis. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 34:357, 1996.
25. Bysani GK, Rucoba RJ, Noah ZL: Treatment of hydrocarbon pneumonitis: high frequency jet ventilation as an alternative to extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Chest 106:300, 1994.
26. Marks MI, Chicoine L, Legere G, et al: Adrenocorticosteroid treatment of hydrocarbon pneumonia in children: A cooperative study. J Pediatr 81:366, 1972.
27. Burk RF, Reiter R, Lane JM: Hyperbaric oxygen protection against carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity in the rat. Gastroenterology 90:812, 1986.
28. Kobayashi H, Hobara T, Kawamoto T, et al: Effect of 1,1,1-trichloroethane inhalation on heart rate and its mechanism: A role of the autonomic nervous system. Arch Environ Health 42:140, 1987.
29. Stratta RJ, Saffle JR, Kravitz M, et al: Management of tar and asphalt injuries. Am J Surg 146:766, 1983.
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.