1. Addiss DG, Shaffer N, Fowler BS, et al: The epidemiology of appendicitis and appendectomy in the United States. Am J Epidemiol 132:910, 1990.
2. Trautlein IL, Lambert RL, Miller J: Malpractice in the emergency department: Review of 200 cases. Ann Emerg Med 13:709, 1984.
3. Collins DC: 71,000 human appendix specimens: A final report, summarizing forty years' study. Am J Proctol 14:365, 1963.
4. Wagner J, McKinney WP, Carpenter JL: Does this patient have appendicitis? JAMA 276:1589, 1996.
5. Vermeulen B, Morabia A, Unger PF: Influence of white cell count on surgical decision making in patients with abdominal pain in the right lower quadrant. Eur J Surg 161:483, 1995.
6. Lyons D, Waldron R, Ryan T, et al: An evaluation of the clinical value of the leucocyte count and sequential counts in suspected acute appendicitis. Br J Clin Pract 41:794, 1987.
7. Hoffmann J, Rausmussen O: Aids in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Br J Surg 76:774, 1989.
8. Marchand A, Van Lente F, Galen RS: The assessment of laboratory tests in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Am J Clin Pathol 80:369, 1983.
9. Chung J, Kong M, Lin S, et al: Diagnostic value of c-reactive protein in children with perforated appendicitis. Eur J Pediatr 155:529, 1996.
10. Peltola H, Ahlqvist J, Rapola J, et al: C-reactive protein compared with white blood cell count and erythrocyte sedimentation rate in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in children. Acta Chir Scand 152:55, 1986.
11. Jaye DL, Waites KB: Clinical applications of c-reactive protein in pediatrics. Pediatr Infect Dis J 16:735, 1997.
12. Kretchmar LH, McDonald DF: The urine sediment in acute appendicitis. Arch Surg 87:209, 1963.
13. Puskar D, Bedalov G, Fridrih S, et al: Urinalysis, ultrasound analysis, and renal dynamic scintigraphy in acute appendicitis. Urology 45:108, 1995.
14. Moawad AH: Acute appendicitis during pregnancy, in Cibels LA (ed): Surgical Diseases in Pregnancy. New York, Springer-Verlag, 1990, pp 105-114.
15. Zeiden BS, Wasser T, Nicholas GG: Ultrasonography in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. J R Coll Surg Edinburgh 42:24, 1997.
16. Jeffrey RB, Jain KA, Ngheim HV: Sonographic diagnosis of acute appendicitis: Interpretive pitfalls. Am J Roentgenol 162:55, 1994.
17. Lim HK, Lee WJ, Kim TH: Appendicitis: Usefulness of color doppler US. Radiology 201:221, 1996.
18. Balthazar EJ, Birnbaum BA, Yee J: Acute appendicitis: CT and US correlation in 100 patients. Radiology 190:31, 1994.
19. Graff L, Radford MJ, Werne C: Probability of appendicitis before and after observation. Ann Emerg Med 20:503, 1991.
20. Nauta RJ, Magnant C: Observation versus operation for abdominal pain in the right lower quadrant: Roles of the clinical examination and the leukocyte count. Am J Surg 151:746, 1986.
21. Golladay S, Sarret JR: Delayed diagnosis in pediatric appendicitis. South Med J 81:38, 1988.
22. Rappaport WD, Peterson M, Stanton C: Factors responsible for the high perforation rate seen in early childhood appendicitis. Am J Surg 55:602, 1989.
23. Hall A, Wright TM: Acute appendicitis in the geriatric patient. Am Surg 44:147, 1978.
24. Klein SR, Layden L, Wright JF, et al: Appendicitis in the elderly. Postgrad Med 83:247, 1988.
25. Thorbjarnarson B, Loehr WJ: Acute appendicitis in patients over the age of sixty. Surg Gynecol Obstet 125:1277, 1967.
26. Franz M, Norman J, Fabri PJ: Increased mortality of appendicitis with advancing age. Am Surg 61:40, 1995.
27. Freund HR, Rubinstein E: Appendicitis in the aged: Is it really different? Am Surg 50:573, 1984.
28. Eskelinen M, Ikonen J, Lipponen P: The value of history-taking, physical examination, and computer assistance in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in patients more than 50 years old. Scand J Gastroenterol 30:349, 1995.
29. Horattas MC, Guyton DP, Wu D: A reappraisal of appendicitis in the elderly. Am J Surg 160:291, 1990.
30. Mahmoodian S: Appendicitis complicating pregnancy. South Med J 85:19, 1992.
31. Flum DR, Steinberg SD, Sarkis AY, et al: Appendicitis in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Am Coll Surg 184:481, 1997.
32. Rusnak RA, Borer JM, Fastow JS: Misdiagnosis of acute appendicitis: Common features discovered in cases after litigation. Am J Emerg Med 12:397, 1994.
33. Norton VC, Schriger DL: Effect of transfer on outcome in patients with appendicitis. Ann Emerg Med 29:467, 1997.
34. Braveman P, Schaaf VM, Egerter S, et al: Insurance-related differences in the risk of ruptured appendix. N Engl J Med 331:444, 1994.
35. Eriksson S, Granstrom L: Randomized controlled trial of appendicectomy versus antibiotic therapy for acute appendicitis. Br J Surg 82:166, 1995.
36. Bauer T, Vennits B, Holm B, et al: Antibiotic prophylaxis in acute nonperforated appendicitis. The Danish Multicenter Study Group III. Ann Surg 209:307, 1989.
37. Antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Med Lett 35:91, 1993.
38. Meller JL, Reyes HM, Loeff DS, et al: One-drug versus two-drug antibiotic therapy in pediatric perforated appendicitis: A prospective randomized study. Surgery 110:764, 1991.
39. Wilcox RT, Traverso LW: Have the evaluation and treatment of acute appendicitis changed with new technology? Surg Clin North Am 77:1355, 1997.
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.