1. Brewer RJ, Golden GT, Hitch DC, et al: Abdominal pain: An analysis of 1,000 consecutive cases in a university hospital emergency room. Am J Surg 131:219, 1976.
2. Bugliosi TF, Meloy TD, Vukov LF: Acute abdominal pain in the elderly. Ann Emerg Med 19:1383, 1990.
3. McCaig LF: National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 1996 Emergency Department Summary. Advance data from vital and health statistics, no. 293. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 1997.
4. McNamara RM, Rousseau E, Sanders AB: Geriatric emergency medicine: A survey of practicing emergency physicians. Ann Emerg Med 21:796, 1992.
5. Baum SA, Rubenstein LZ: Old people in the emergency room: Age related differences in emergency department use and care. J Am Geriatr Soc 35:398, 1987.
6. Fenyo G: Acute abdominal disease in the elderly: Experience from two series in Stockholm. Am J Surg 143:751, 1982.
7. Bender JS: Approach to the acute abdomen. Med Clin North Am 73:1413, 1989.
8. Fenyo G: Diagnostic problems of acute abdominal pain in the aged. Acta Chir Scand 140:396, 1974.
9. Owens BJ, Hamit HF: Appendicitis in the elderly. Ann Surg 172:306, 1970.
10. Ponka JL, Welborn JK, Brush BE: Acute abdominal pain in aged patients: An analysis of 200 cases. J Am Geriatr Soc 11:993, 1963.
11. Marston WA, Ahlquist R, Johnson G, et al: Misdiagnosis of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 16:17, 1992.
12. Greenlee HB, Pienkos EJ, Vanderbilt PC, et al: Acute large bowel obstruction. Arch Surg 108:470, 1974.
13. Horattas MC, Guyton DP, Wu D: A reappraisal of appendicitis in the elderly. Am J Surg 160:291, 1990.
14. DeDombal FT, Matharu SS, Staniland JR, et al: Presentation of cancer to hospital as "acute abdominal pain." Br J Surg 67:413, 1980.
15. Parker LJ, Vukov LF, Wollan PC: Emergency department evaluation of geriatric patients with acute cholecystitis. Acad Emerg Med 4:51, 1997.
16. Glenn F: Surgical management of acute cholecystitis in patients 65 years of age and older. Ann Surg 193:56, 1981.
17. Andersson A, Bergdahl L, Van Der Linden W: Volvulus of the cecum. Ann Surg 181:876, 1976.
18. Anderson JR, Lee D: The management of sigmoid volvulus. Br J Surg 68:117, 1981.
19. Hyatt R: Colonic pseudo-obstruction: An important complication in hospitalized elderly patients. Age Ageing 16:145, 1987.
20. Boley SJ, Sprayregan S, Siegelman SS, et al: Initial results from an aggressive roentgenological and surgical approach to acute mesenteric ischemia. Surgery 82:848, 1977.
21. Ottinger LW: Mesenteric ischemia. N Engl J Med 307:535, 1982.
22. Ernst CB: Abdominal aortic aneurysm. N Engl J Med 328:1167, 193.
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.