1. Lammers RL: Soft tissue foreign bodies. Ann Emerg Med 17:1336, 1988.
2. Auerbach P: Marine envenomation, in Auerbach PS (ed): Wilderness Medicine, 3d ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1995, pp 1327-1374.
3. Farrell SE, Vandevander P, Lee D, et al: Elevated serum lead levels in ED patients with retained lead foreign bodies [abstr]. Acad Emerg Med 3:418, 1996.
4. Zimmerli W, Zak O, Vosbeck K: Experimental hematogenous infection of subcutaneously implanted foreign bodies. Scand J Infect Dis 17:303, 1985.
5. Avner JR, Baker MD: Lacerations involving glass: The role of routine roentgenograms. Am J Dis Child 146:600, 1992.
6. Russell RC, Williamson DA, Sullivan JW, et al: Detection of foreign bodies in the hand. J Hand Surg 16A:2, 1991.
7. Courter BJ: Radiographic screening for glass foreign bodies: What does a "negative" foreign body series really mean? Ann Emerg Med 19:997, 1990.
8. Ellis G: Are aluminum foreign bodies detectable radiographically? Am J Emerg Med 11:12, 1993.
9. Roobottom CA, Weston MJ: The detection of foreign bodies in soft tissue: Comparison of conventional and digital radiography. Clin Radiol 49:330, 1994.
10. Reiner B, Siegel E, McLaurin T, et al: Evaluation of soft-tissue foreign bodies: Comparing conventional plain film radiography, computed radiography printed on film, and computed tomography displayed on a computer workstation. AJR 167:141, 1996.
11. Chisholm CD, Wood CO, Chua G, et al: Radiographic detection of gravel in soft tissue. Ann Emerg Med 29:725, 1997.
12. Ell SR, Sprigg A, Parker AJ: A multi-observer study examining the radiographic visibility of fishbone foreign bodies. J R Soc Med 89:31, 1996.
13. De Flaviis L, Scaglione P, Del Bo P, et al: Detection of foreign bodies in soft tissues: Experimental comparison of ultrasonography and xeroradiography. J Trauma 28:400, 1988.
14. Gilbert FJ, Campbell RSD, Bayliss AP: The role of ultrasound in the detection of non-radiopaque foreign bodies. Clin Radiol 41:109, 1990.
15. Jacobson JA, Powell A, Craig JG, et al: Wooden foreign bodies in soft tissue: Detection at ultrasound. Radiology 206:45, 1998.
16. Schlager D, Sanders AB, Wiggins D, et al: Ultrasound for the detection of foreign bodies. Ann Emerg Med 20:189, 1991.
17. Manthey DE, Storrow AB, Milbourn JM, et al: Ultrasound versus radiography in the detection of soft-tissue foreign bodies. Ann Emerg Med 28:7, 1996.
18. Turner J, Wilde CH, Hughes KC, et al: Ultrasound-guided retrieval of small foreign objects in subcutaneous tissue. Ann Emerg Med 29:731, 1997.
19. Cohen DM, Garcia CT, Dietrich AM, Hickey RW: Miniature C-arm imaging: An in vitro study of detecting foreign bodies in the emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care 13:247, 1997.
20. Lindsey D, Lindsey WE: Cactus spine injuries. Am J Emerg Med 6:362, 1988.
21. Martinez TT, Jerome M, Barry RC, et al: Removal of cactus spines from the skin: A comparative evaluation of several methods. Am J Dis Child 141:1291, 1987.
Was this article helpful?