1. Reece RM: Child Abuse: Medical Diagnosis and Management. Philadelphia, Lea and Febiger, 1994.
2. Berkowitz CD: Failure to thrive, in Berkowitz CD (ed): Pediatrics: A Primary Care Approach. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1996, p 415.
3. Powell GF, Low JF, Speers MA: Behavior as a diagnostic aid in failure-to-thrive. J Dev Behav Pediatr 8:18, 1987.
4. Hammer LD, Kraemer HC, Wilson DM, et al: Standardized percentile curves of body-mass index for children and adolescents. Am J Dis Child 145:260, 1991.
5. Merten DF, Carpenter BLM: Radiologic imaging of inflicted injury in the child abuse syndrome. Pediatr Clin North Am 37:815, 1990.
6. Silver HK, Finkelstein M: Deprivation dwarfism. J Pediatr 70:317, 1967.
7. Powell GF, Brasel JA, Blizzard RM: Emotional deprivation and growth retardation simulating idiopathic hypopituitarism: I. Clinical evaluation of the syndrome. N Engl J Med 276:1271, 1967.
8. Meadow R: Munchausen syndrome by proxy. BMJ 299:248, 1989.
9. Rosenberg DA: Web of deceit: A literature review of Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Child Abuse Negl 11:547, 1987.
10. Southall DP, Plunkett MCB, Banks MW, et al: Covert video recordings of life-threatening child abuse: Lessons for child protection. Pediatrics 100:735, 1997.
11. Chadwick DL, Berkowitz CD, Kerns D, et al: Color Atlas of Child Sexual Abuse Chicago, Year Book Medical, 1989.
12. Seidel JS, Elvik SL, Berkowitz CD, et al: Presentation and evaluation of sexual misuse in the emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care 2:157, 1986.
13. Berkowitz CD: Child sexual abuse. Pediatr Rev 12:443, 1992.
14. Levitt CJ: The medical interview, in Heger A, Emans SJ (eds): Evaluation of the Sexually Abused Child: A Medical Textbook and Photographic Atlas. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992, pp 31-38.
15. Woodling BA, Kossoris PD: Sexual misuse: Rape, molestation and incest. Pediatr Clin North Am 28:481, 1981.
16. Woodling BA, Heger A: The use of the colposcope in the diagnosis of sexual abuse in the pediatric age group. Child Abuse Negl 10:111, 1986.
17. Lauber AA, Souma ML: Use of toluidine blue for documentation of traumatic intercourse. Obstet Gynecol 61:644, 1982.
18. McCann L, Voris J, Simon M, et al: Comparison of genital examination techniques in prepubertal children. Pediatrics 85:182, 1990.
19. Berenson A, Heger A, Andrews S: Appearance of the hymen in newborns. Pediatrics 87:458, 1991.
20. Berenson A: Appearance of the hymen at birth and one year of age: A longitudinal study. Pediatrics 91:820, 1993.
21. Kerns DL, Ritter ML, Thomas RG: Concave hymenal variations in suspected child sexual abuse victims. Pediatrics 90:265, 1992.
22. McCann J, Wells R, Simon M, et al: Genital findings in prepubescent girls selected for non-abuse: A descriptive study. Pediatrics 86:428, 1990.
23. Finkel MA: Anogenital trauma in sexually abused children. Pediatrics 13:258, 1989.
24. Reinhart M: Sexually abused boys. Child Abuse Negl 11:229, 1987.
25. McCann J: Perianal findings in prepubertal children selected for non abuse: A descriptive study. Child Abuse Negl 13:179, 1989.
26. Hammerschlag MR, Doraiswarmy B, Alexander ER, et al: Are rectogenital chlamydial infections a marker of sexual abuse in children? Pediatr Infect Dis J 3:100, 1984.
27. Gellert G, Durfee M, Berkowitz CD: Developing guidelines for HIV antibody testing among victims of pediatric sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 14:9, 1990.
28. Newberger EH: Pediatric interview assessment of child abuse. Pediatr Clin North Am 37:943, 1990.
29. Limbos MA, Berkowitz CD: Documentation of child physical abuse: How far have we come? Pediatrics 102:53, 1998.
30. Berkowitz CD: Pediatric abuse: New patterns of injury. Emerg Med Clin North Am 13:321, 1995.
31. Wilson EF: Estimation of the age of cutaneous contusions in child abuse. Pediatrics 60:750, 1977.
32. Stephenson T, Bialas Y: Estimation of the age of bruising. Arch Dis Child 74:53, 1996.
33. Purdue GF, Hunt JL, Prescott PR: Child abuse by burning: An index of suspicion. J Trauma 28:221, 1988.
34. Kleinman PK (ed): Diagnostic Imaging of Child Abuse, 2d ed. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1998.
35. Alexander, R, Sato Y, Smith W, Bennett T: Incidence of impact trauma with cranial injuries ascribed to shaking. Am J Dis Child 144:724, 1990.
36. American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect: Shaken baby syndrome: Inflicted cerebral trauma. Pediatrics 92:872, 1993.
37. Budenz DL, Faber MG, Mirchandani HG, et al: Ocular and optic nerve hemorrhages in abused infants with intracranial injuries. Ophthalmology 101:559, 1994.
38. Cooper A, Floyd T, Barlow B, et al: Major blunt abdominal trauma due to child abuse. J Trauma 28:1483, 1988.
39. Forman DL: Every Parent's Guide to the Law. San Diego, Harcourt, Brace, 1998.
Was this article helpful?
I can't believe I'm actually writing the book that is going to help you achieve the level of health and fitness that you always dreamed of. Me, little scrawny sickly Darlene that was always last picked in gym class. There's power in a good story here so get this book now.