1. Schlaerb PR, Friis-Hansen BJ, Edelman IS, et al: The measurement of total body water in the human subject by deuterium oxide dilution with consideration of the dynamics of deuterium distribution. J Clin Invest 29:1296, 1950.
2. Starling EH: Physiological factors involved in the causation of dropsy. Lancet 1:1405, 1896.
3. Pappenheimer JR: Passage of molecules through capillary walls. Physiol Rev 33:387, 1953.
4. Schrier RW: Treatment of hyponatremia. N Engl J Med 312:1121, 1985.
5. Krause JA, Carlson RW: Rapid correction of hypokalemia using concentrated intravenous potassium chloride infusion. Arch Intern Med 150:613, 1990.
6. Warrell PR Jr, Bachmon RJ, Coonley CJ, et al: Gallium nitrate inhibits calcium resorption and is effective treatment for cancer-related hypercalcemia. J Clin Invest 73:1487, 1984.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.