1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Heat-related mortality: United States, 1997. MMWR 47:473, 1998.
2. Shen T, Howe HL, Alo C, Moolenaar RL: Toward a broader definition of heat-related death: A comparison of mortality estimates from medical examiners' classification with those from total death differentials during the July 1995 heat wave in Chicago, Illinois. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 19:113, 1998.
3. Semenza JC, Rubin CH, Falter KH, et al: Heat-related deaths during the July 1995 heat wave in Chicago. N Engl J Med 335:84, 1996.
4. Faunt JD, Wilkinson TJ, Aplin P, et al: The effete in the heat: Heat-related hospital presentations during a ten day heat wave. Aust NZ J Med 25:117121, 1995.
5. Noakes TD, Adams BA, Myburgh C, et al: The danger of an inadequate water intake during prolonged exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 57:210, 1988.
6. Bross MH, Nash BT, Carlton FB Jr: Heat emergencies. Am Fam Physician 50:389, 1994.
7. Barrow MW, Clark KA: Heat-related illnesses. Am Fam Physician 58:749, 1998.
8. Tek D, Olshaker JS: Heat illness. Emerg Med Clin North Am 10:299, 1992.
9. Hubbard RW: The role of exercise in the etiology of exertional heatstroke. Med Sci Sports Exerc 22:2, 1990.
10. Heat wave: A Major Summer Killer. Washington, DC, US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1985; publication NOAA/PA 85001.
11. Khogali M: Heat-related illnesses. Middle East J Anesthesiol 12:531, 1994.
12. Sawka MN, Pandolf KB: Effect of body water loss on physiological function and exercise performance, in Gisolfi CV, Lamb DR (eds): Perspectives in Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, vol 3. Indianapolis, IN, Benchmark, 1990, pp 1-38
13. Pandolf KB, Griffin TB, Munro EH, Goldman RF: Persistence of impaired heat tolerance from artificially induced miliaria rubra. Am J Physiol 2393:R226, 1980.
14. Pascoe DD, Bellingar TA, McCluskey BS: Clothing and exercise: Influence of clothing during exercise/work in environmental extremes. Sports Med 18:94, 1994.
15. Vescovi PP, Coiro V: Hyperthermia and endorphins. Biomed Parmacother 47:301, 1993.
16. Khogali M: Makkah body cooling unit, in Khogali M, Hales JR S (eds): Heat Stroke and Temperature Regulation. Sydney, Academic, 1983, pp 139-148.
17. Armstrong LE, Maresh CM: The induction and decay of heat acclimatization in trained athletes. Sports Med 12:302, 1991.
18. Dellinger AM, Kachur SP, Sternberg E, Russell J: Risk of heat-related injury to disaster relief workers in a slow-onset flood disaster. J Occup Environ Med 38:689, 1996.
19. Dickinson JG: Heat illness in the services. J R Army Med Corps 140:7, 1994.
Was this article helpful?