1. Mustalish AC, Post C: History, in Kuehl AE (ed): Prehospital Systems and Medical Oversight. St. Louis, National Association of EMS Physicians, Mosby Lifeline, 1994, pp 3-27.
2. Auble TE, Menegazzi JJ, Paris PM: Effect of out of hospital defibrillation by basic life support providers on cardiac arrest mortality: A metaanalysis. Ann Emerg Med 25:642, 1995.
3. Spaite D, Benoit R, Brown D, et al: Uniform prehospital data elements and definitions: A report from the uniform prehospital emergency medical services data conference. Ann Emerg Med 25:525, 1995.
4. Alonso-Serra H, Blanton D, O'Connor RE: Physician medical direction in EMS. J Prehosp Care 2:153, 1998.
5. Eisenberg MS, Horwood BT, Cummins RO, et al: Cardiac arrest and resuscitation: A tale of 29 cities. Ann Emerg Med 19:179, 1990.
6. Eisenberg MS, Pantridge JF, Cobb LA, Geddes JS: The revolution and evolution of prehospital cardiac care. Arch Intern Med 156:1611, 1996.
7. Becker LB, Pepe PE: Ensuring the effectiveness of community-wide emergency cardiac care. Ann Emerg Med 22(part 2):354, 1993.
8. Weaver DW, Cerqueira M, Hallstrom AP, et al: Prehospital-initiated vs hospital-initiated thrombolytic therapy: The MITI trial. JAMA 270:1211, 1993.
9. Smith JS, Martin LF, Young WW, Macioce DP: Do trauma centers improve outcome over non-trauma centers: The evaluation of regional trauma care using discharge abstract data and patient management categories. J Trauma 30:1533, 1990.
10. Sampalis JS, Lavoie A, Williams JI, et al: Impact of on-site care, prehospital time, and level of in-hospital care on survival in severely injured patients. J Trauma 34:252, 1993.
11. Cayten CG, Murphy JG, Stahl WM: Basic life support versus advanced life support for injured patients with an injury severity score of 10 or more. J Trauma 35:460, 1993.
12. Bickell WH, Wall MJ, Pepe PE, et al: Immediate vs delayed fluid resuscitation for hypotensive patients with penetrating torso injuries. N Engl J Med 331:1105, 1994.
13. Shuster M, Shannon HS: Differential prehospital benefit from paramedic care. Ann Emerg Med 23:1014, 1994.
14. Pediatric Education Task Force, Gausche M, Henderson DP, et al: Education of out-of-hospital emergency medical personnel in pediatrics: Report of a national task force. Ann Emerg Med 31:58, 1998.
15. Joyce SM, Brown DE, Nelson EA: Epidemiology of pediatric EMS practice: A multistate analysis. Prehosp and Disas Mea 11:180, 1996.
16. Gausche M, Lewis RJ, Stratton SJ, et al: A prospective, randomized study of the effect of out-of-hospital pediatric intubation on patient outcome. Acad Emerg Med 5:428, 1998.
17. Thompson AM: Rural emergency medical volunteers and their communities: A demographic comparison. J Community Health 18:379, 1993.
18. Johnson DR, Maggiore WA, Davis DR: A method to reduce rural EMS response times. Prehosp and Disas Med 6:143, 1991.
19. EMS Agenda for the Future Steering Committee, Delbridge TR, Bailey B, et al: EMS agenda for the future: Where we are ... where we want to be. Prehosp Emerg Care 2:1, 1998. 20. Garrison HG, Foltin GL, Becker LR, et al: The role of EMS in primary injury prevention. Prehosp Emerg Care 1:156, 1997.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.