All patients suspected of having STSS should be admitted to an intensive care unit. CHAPTER REFERENCES
1. Todd J: Toxic-shock syndrome associated with phage group-1 staphylococci. Lancet 2:1116, 1978.
2. Centers for Disease Control: Case definition for toxic shock syndrome. MMWR 46:30, 1997.
3. Chance TD: Toxic shock syndrome: Role of the environment, the host and the microorganism. Br J Biomed Sci 53:284, 1996.
4. Berkley SF: The relationship of tampon characteristics to menstrual toxic shock syndrome. JAMA 258:917, 1987.
5. Kain KC: Clinical spectrum of nonmenstrual toxic shock syndrome (NMTSS): Comparison with menstrual TSS by multivariate discriminant analyses. Clin Infect Dis 16:100, 1993.
6. Todd J: Corticosteroid therapy for patients with toxic shock syndrome. JAMA 252:3399, 1984.
7. Chesney PJ: Toxic shock syndrome: Management and long-term sequelae. Ann Intern Med 96:84, 1982.
8. Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases: Group A Streptococcus Fact Sheet. November 20, 1996.
9. Centers for Disease Control: Case definitions for infectious conditions under public surveillance. MMWR 46:34, 1997.
10. Stevens DL: Streptococcal toxic-shock syndrome: Spectrum of disease, pathogenesis, and new concepts in treatment. Emerg Infect Dis 1(3):1, 1995.
11. Davies HD: Invasive group A streptococcal infections in Ontario, Canada. N Engl J Med 335:547, 1996.
12. Kaul R: Population-based surveillance for group A streptococcal necrotizing fasciitis: Clinical features, prognostic indicators, and microbiologic analysis of seventy-seven cases, Ontario Group A Streptococcal Study. Am J Med 103:18, 1997.
13. Gardam MA: Group B streptococcal necrotizing fasciitis and streptococcal toxic shock-like syndrome in adults. Arch Intern Med 158:1704, 1998.
14. Hirose Y: Toxic shock-like syndrome caused by non-group A beta-hemolytic streptococci. Arch Intern Med 157:1891,1997.
15. Stevens DL: Severe streptococcal infections associated with a toxic shock-like syndrome and scarlet fever toxin A. N Engl J Med 321:1, 1989.
16. Hackett SP: Superantigens associated with staphylococcal and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome are potent inducers of tumor necrosis factor synthesis. J Infect Dis 168:232, 1993.
17. Drake DB, Woods JA, Bill TJ: Magnetic resonance imaging in the early diagnosis of group A beta streptococcal necrotizing fasciitis: A case report. J Emerg Med 16:403, 1998.
18. Lamothe F: Clinical usefulness of intravenous human immunoglobulins in invasive group A streptococcal infections: Case report and review. Clin Infect Dis 21:1469, 1995.
Was this article helpful?
Awesome Ways To Get Over Your Mentality That Keeps you Overweight! This Book Is One Of The Most Valuable Resources In The World When It Comes To Results In Your Slim-down and Health Efforts! Day in day out we keep ourselves absorbed with those matters that matter the most to us. A lot of times, it might be just to survive and bring in some money. In doing so we at times disregard or forget about the extra matters that are essential to balance our lives. They’re even more essential to supply real meaning to our world. You have to pay attention to your wellness.