Magnesium Mg2

Mg2+ is a vital element in all biologic systems and is the key element in chlorophyll, the first link in the world's food chain. The total body content of Mg 2+ is 24 g, or 2000 meq. Of this, 50 to 70 percent is fixed in bone and is only slowly exchangeable. Most of the remaining Mg 2+ (approximately 40 percent) is found in the ICF space, with a concentration of approximately 40 meq/L. The distribution of Mg2+ is similar to that of potassium, with the major portion intracellular. It is the second most abundant intracellular cation. Serum [Mg2+] ranges between 1.5 and 2.5 meq/L. Mg2+ present in blood is 25 to 35 percent protein-bound, 10 to 15 percent complexed, and 50 to 60 percent ionized. The normal dietary intake of Mg2+ is approximately 20 to 28 meq/day, or 240 to 336 mg/day, and is found in vegetables such as dry beans and leafy greens, meat, and cereals. The majority of Mg2+ is excreted through the gastrointestinal tract in the stool (60 percent) with the remainder (40 percent) in the urine. The kidney is very capable of conserving Mg 2+. A person on an Mg2+-free diet will excrete less than 1 meq/day through the urine. Mg 2+ promotes enzyme reactions within the cell during metabolism, helps in the production of ATP, participates in protein synthesis, and plays a role in coagulation, platelet aggregation, and neuromuscular activity.

Losing Weight Without Starving

Losing Weight Without Starving

Tired of Trying To Loose Weight And It Never Works or You Have To Starve Yourself Well Here's A Weight Loss Plan That takes Care of Your Weight Problem And You Can Still Eat. In This Book, You’ll Learn How To Lose Weight And Not Feel Hungry! In An Easy Step-By-Step Process That Enables You To Feel Good About Loosing Weight As Well As Feeling Good Because Your Stomach Is Still Full.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment