1. Consider diagnosis in afebrile patients, including adults, with persistent cough.
2. Treatment of household contacts recommended.
1. Erythromycin estolate (Ilosone) 40 mg/kg/day PO divided bid-tid for 7 days [contraindicated in pregnancy] Easy dose: 20 mg/kg/dose PO bid for 7 days
Maximum: 250-500 mg per dose Liquids: 125 mg and 250 mg/5 cc
2. Erythromycin ethyl succinate (EES) 30-50 mg/kg/day PO divided qid for 14 days [B] Easy dose: 10 mg/kg/dose PO qid for 14 days
Maximum: 250-500 mg per dose Liquids: 200 mg and 400 mg/5 cc
3. TMP/SMX (Bactrim, Septra) 10 mg/kg/day TMP & 50 mg/kg/day SMX PO divided bid for 14 days [C; D in 3rd trimester] Easy dose: 1.25 cc/kg/day PO divided bid for 14 days
Maximum: 20 cc per dose
Suspension of TMP 40 mg and SMX 200 mg/5 cc
1. Erythromycin estolate (Ilosone) 500 mg PO qid for 7 days [contradicted in pregnancy]
2. TMP/SMX DS (Bactrim DS, Septra DS) 1 tablet PO bid for 14 days [B; D in 3rd trimester]
Organisms: Bordetellal pertussis, Bordetella parapertussis Pneumonia
(Note two drug therapy) Ceftriaxone is no longer recommended in neonates because of the potential for biliary sludge pseudolithiasis.
2. Nafcillin 50 mg/kg IV q6h [B] OR (if suspect MRSA)
3. Vancomycin (Vancocin) 10 mg/kg IV q6h (max 1 g; monitor serum levels) [C] PLUS
1. Gentamicin (Garamycin) 2 mg/kg IV loading dose, then 1.7 mg/kg IV q8h (monitor serum levels) [D] OR
2. Cefotaxime (Claforan) 50 mg/kg IV q6h [B]
B. PEDIATRIC (1 MONTH-18 YEARS)
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.