IVF is more effective than natural intercourse because of the following:
• Fertility medications are used to produce more eggs than would develop naturally.
• Instead of your having to wait for the eggs to ovulate naturally, with IVF the eggs are retrieved manually by your doctor.
• IVF bypasses the fallopian tubes because the eggs are retrieved directly from the ovaries and transferred directly into the uterus.
• Sperm are specially prepared in the laboratory so they can avoid the many hurdles that sperm encounter in a natural setting, such as cervical mucus and long difficult swims.
• Most IVF programs transfer several fertilized eggs back into your uterus to improve the chances of a successful pregnancy outcome.
Was this article helpful?
A Beginner's Guide to Healthy Pregnancy. If you suspect, or know, that you are pregnant, we ho pe you have already visited your doctor. Presuming that you have confirmed your suspicions and that this is your first child, or that you wish to take better care of yourself d uring pregnancy than you did during your other pregnancies; you have come to the right place.