1. Change in U.S. Livestock Production, 1969-1992, U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Report, Economic Research Service, ERS-AER-754.
2. Factsheet, "The Beef Industry," National Cattlemen's Association, Englewood, Colo., 1990.
3. C. Lambert, Beef Industry Facts, National Cattlemen's Association, Englewood, Colo., 1990.
4. Livestock Slaughter 1997 Summary. USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. March, 1998.
5. Dairy Producer Highlights, National Milk Producers Federation, Arlington, Va., 1982.
6. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Statistics, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1990.
7. U.S. Department of Agriculture Economics and Statistics System, Dairy Outlook, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., December, 1996.
8. The Structure of Dairy Markets: Past, Present, Future, U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Report, Economic Research Service, ERS-AER-757.
9. Fact Book of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Miscellaneous Publication No. 1063, 1989.
10. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Statistics, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1989.
11. P. Yuthasastrakosal et al., "Release of LH in Anoestrous and Cyclic Ewes," Journal of Reproduction and Fertility 50, 319321 (1977).
12. L. Anderson, "Pigs," in E. S. E. Hafez, ed., Reproduction in Farm Animals, 4th ed., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, Penn., 1980.
13. R. Ashdown and J. Hancock, "Functional Anatomy of Male Reproduction," in E. S. E. Hafez, ed., Reproduction in Farm Animals, 4th ed., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, Penn., 1980.
14. National Research Council, Ruminant Nitrogen Usage, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1985.
15. R. Preston and S. Bartle, "Quantification of Escape Protein and Amino Acid Needs for New Feedlot Cattle," J. Animal Sei. 68, 531 (1990).
16. M. Jürgens, Animal Feeding and Nutrition, Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 1982.
17. Q. Liu et al., "Titration of Fresh Meat Color Stability and Ma-londialdehyde Development with Holstein Steers Fed Vitamin E-Supplemented Diets," J. Animal Sei. 74, 117-126 (1996).
18. Riley et al., "Palatability of Beef from Steer and Bull Carcasses as Influenced by Electrical Stimulation, Subcutaneous Fat, Thickness and Marbling," J. Animal Sei. 56, 592-597 (1983).
19. M. Judge et al., Principles of Meat Science, 2nd ed., Kendall/ Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa, 1989.
20. P. Eppard et al., "Effect of Dose of Bovine Growth Hormone on Lactation of Dairy Cows," J. Dairy Sei. 68, 1109-1115 (1985).
21. C. Kirby et al., "Follicular Function in Lactating Dairy Cows Treated with Sustained-Release Bovine Somatotropin," J. Dairy Sei. 80, 273-285 (1997).
22. P. Eppard et al., "Effect of Exogenous Somatotropin on Hematological Variables of Lactating Cows and Their Offspring," J. Dairy Sei. 80, 1582-1591 (1997).
23. G. Hartneil et al., "Effect of Bovine Somatotropin Administered to Periparturient Dairy Cows on the Incidence of Metabolic Disease," J. Dairy Sei. 79, 2170-2181 (1996).
24. L. Judge et al., "Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin and Clinical Mastitis: Incidence, Discarded Milk Following Therapy, and Culling,"«/. Dairy Sei. 80, 3212-3218 (1997).
25. J. Skarda and H. Mader, "Impact of Bovine Somatotropin on Dairying in Eastern Europe," J. Dairy Sei. 74 (Suppl 2), 7282 (1991).
26. E. Kanis et al., "Effect of Recombinant Porcine Somatotropin on Growth and Carcass Quality of Growing Pigs: Interaction With Genotype, Gender and Slaughter Weight," J. Animal Sei. 68, 1193-1200 (1990).
27. B. Dalke et al., "Dose-Response Effects of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin Implants on Feedlot Performance in Steers," J. Animal Sei. 70, 2123-2137 (1992).
28. G. Seidel, "Characteristics of Future Agricultural Animals," in J. W. Evans and A. Hollaender, eds., Genetic Engineering of Animals: An Agricultural Perspective, Plenum Press, New York, 1986.
29. S. Bishop, "A Comparison of Bonus and Quota Mating Systems for Utilising the Sex-Determining Region Y Gene in Terminal Sire Beef Cattle Breeding," Theoret. Appl. Genet. 90, 487-491 (1995).
30. L. Cundiff et al., "Challenges and Opportunities for Integrating Genetically Modified Animals Into Traditional Animal Breeding Plans," J. Animal Sci. 71 (Suppl 3), 20-25 (1993).
31. C. Karatzas and J. Turner, "Toward Altering Milk Composition by Genetic Manipulation: Current Status and Challenges," J. Dairy Sci. 80, 2225-2232 (1997).
32. R. Wall et al., "Transgenic Dairy Cattle: Genetic Engineering on a Large Scale," J. Dairy Sci. 80, 2213-2224 (1997).
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.