The number of universities in the UK has grown considerably in recent years as a consequence of the award of charters to many former polytechnics, which were intermediate between universities and colleges of further education. Historically, the major centers of food science education in the UK were the University of Reading (also home to the National College of Food Technology, formerly based at Weybridge, Surrey), University of Nottingham, University of Leeds, and The Queen's University, Belfast. Currently, these universities offer both BSc and thought postgraduate courses (certificate, diploma, or MSc level) in food-related subjects. Primary degrees are also offered by Bournemouth University; Glasgow Caledonian University; Loughborough University of Technology; Manchester Metropolitan University; Oxford Brookes University; Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh; Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen; Scottish Agricultural College; Sheffield Hallam University; South Bank University; University of Huddersfield; University of Lincolnshire and Humberside; University of Newcastle; University of North London; University of Plymouth; University of Strathclyde; University of Surrey; University of Teeside; University of Ulster; and University of Wales Institute Cardiff. Postgraduate courses in food-related subjects are offered by the Glasgow College of Food Technology; Manchester Metropolitan University; Oxford Brooks University; Queen's University Belfast; Robert Gordon University; South Bank University; and the Universities of Birmingham, Bristol, Huddersfield, Lincolnshire and Humberside, Leeds, London (Wye College), Reading, Strathclyde, and Wales Institute Cardiff. Many of the preceding institutions also award Ph.D. degrees in food research. Nutrition degrees are offered by the Universities of London, Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Surrey, and Ulster. A number of UK universities, such as Surrey, now offer modular degrees that enable students to chose from a selection of courses shared with other degree programs, such as toxicology, nutrition, physiology, and molecular biology. A number of UK colleges of further education offer courses in food science to Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND) level. Some of the UK professional societies are also involved in educational initiatives. For example, the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST) is an examining body for the Higher Certificate in Food Premises Inspection. The European Commission is considering plans that may lead to the accreditation of courses in food science throughout Europe.

10 Ways To Fight Off Cancer

10 Ways To Fight Off Cancer

Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.

Get My Free Ebook

Post a comment