In 1997 Walker et al reported higher T lymphocyte counts, increased oxidative activity of leukocytes and lower concentrations of inflammatory mediators following VATS versus open thoracotomy for pulmonary lobectomies.32 Although open thoracotomy produced greater immune suppression, there was no difference in clinical outcome between the groups. However MaKinlay et al24 noted a trend toward greater disease-free survival rates in patients treated by VATS for pulmonary malignancies. The full impact of immune suppression of VATS for pulmonary malignancies has yet to be determined.15
1. Ackerman LV, Wheat MV. The implantation of cancer—An avoidable surgical risk? Surgery 1955; 37:341-355.
2. Allendorf JDF, Kayton ML, Libutti SK et al. The effect of laparotomy versus insufflation on tumor establishment and growth. Surg Endosc 1993; 8:235.
3. Allendorf JDF, Bessler M, Kayton ML et al. Increased tumour establishment and growth after laparotomy versus laparoscopy in a murine model. Surg Endosc 1995; 9:49-52.
4. Berman IR. Cancer recurrence after laparoscopic colectomy. A missing link? Dis Colon Rectum 1995; 83:330-31.
5. Berends FJ, Kazemeier G, Bonjer HJ et al. Subcutaneous metastases after laparo-scopic colectomy. Lancet 1994; 344:58.
6. Bressler M, Whelan RL, Halverson A, Treat MR, Nowygrod R. Is immune function better preserved after laparoscopic versus open colon resection? Surg Endosc 1994; 8:881-83.
7. Boutin C, Rey F, Viallat JR. Prevention of malignant seeding after invasive diagnostic procedure in patients with pleural mesothelioma. A randomized trial of local radiotherapy. Chest 1995; 108:754-58.
8. Buhr J, Hürtgen M, Kelm C, Schwemmle. Tumor dissemination after thoraco-scopic resection for lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1995; 110(3):855-6.
9. Cole SJ, Rogers J, Willians NS. Laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 1994; 81:772-779.
10. Djaczman E, Gordon A, Kreisman H, Wolkove N. Long term postthoracotomy pain. Chest 1991; 99:270-4.
11. Döbronte Z, Wittmann T, Karacsony G. Rapid development of malignant metastases in the abdominal wall after laparoscopy. Endoscopy 1978; 10:127-130.
12. Fisher J, Fisher ER, Feduska N. Trauma and the localization of tumor cells. Cancer 1967; 20:23-30.
13. Fligelstone L, Rhodes M, Flook D, Puntin M, Crosby D. Tumor inoculation during laparoscopy. Lancet 1993; 342:368.
14. Fry WA, Siddiqui A, Pensler JM, Mostavi H. Thoracoscopic implantation of cancer with a fatal outcome. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 59:42-45.
15. Gebhart FT, Becker HP, Gerngross H, Brückner UB. Reduced inflammatory response in minimal invasive surgery of pneumothorax. Arch Surg 1996; 131:1079-1082.
16. Goldstein DS, Lu ML, Hattori T, Ratliff T et al. Inhibition of peritoneal tumor-cell implantation: Model for laparoscopic cancer surgery. J Endourol 1993; 17:237-241.
Gutman M, Fidler IJ. Biology of human colon cancer metastasis. Word J Surg 1995; 19:226-34.
Jancovici R, Lazdunski LL, Pons F et al. Complications of video-assisted thoracic surgery: a five year experience. Ann Thorac Surg 61:533-7, 1996. Johnstone AS, Rohde C, Swartz SE, Fetter JE, Wexner SD. Port site recurrences after laparoscopic and thoracoscopic procedure in malignancy. J Clin Oncol 1996; 14(6):1950-1956.
Kirby TJ, Mack MJ, Landreneau RJ, Rice TW. Lobectomy video-assisted thoracic surgery versus muscle sparing thoracotomy. A randomized trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 109(5):997-1001.
Landreneau RJ, Hazelrigg SR, Mack MJ et al. Differences in postoperative pain, shoulder function, and morbidity between video-assisted thoracic surgery and lateral thoracotomies. Ann Thor Surg 1993; 56:1285-89.
Landreneau RJ, Mack MJ, Hazelrrig SR et al. Video assisted thoracic surgery: basic technical concepts and intercostal approach strategies. Ann Thorac Surg 1992; 54:800-7.
Landreneau RJ, Mack MJ, Hazelrrig SR et al. Prevalence of chronic pain after pulmonary resection by thoracotomy or video-assisted thoracic surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1994; 107:1079-85.
Mackinlay AT, Lyons G, Chimondequy D, Piedras B, Fauve L, Cingolani P. VATS lobectomy vs standard lobectomy for stage I non small cell lung carcinoma. Comparative study of two year survival, recurrence rate and morbimortality. Jornal de Pneumologia 1997; 23(S1):S64.
Martinez J, Targarona EM, BalagueC, Pera M, Trias M. Port site metastasis. An unresolved problem in laparoscopic surgery. A Review. Int Surg 1995; 80:3115-21. Melzac R, Wall PD. Pain mechanisms: a new theory. Science 1965; 150:219-28. Murthy SA, Goldsschimidt RA, Rao LN, Ammirati MM, Buchman T, Scanlon EF. The influence of surgical trauma on experimental metastasis. Cancer 1989; 64:2035-2044.
Perachia A, Rosati R, Bonavina L, Fumagalli U, Bona S, Montorsi M. Thoraco-scopic oesophagectomy. Hepatogastroenterology (Ed Esp) 1993; 3(Suppl)1:39. Sartorelli KH, Partrick D, Meagher DP. Port-site recurrence after thoracoscopic resection of pulmonary metastasis owing to osteogenic sarcoma. J Ped Surg 1996; 31(10):1443-44.
Sayag AG, Gilly FN, Carry PY et al. Intraoperative chemohyperthermia in the management of digestive cancers. Oncology 1993; 50:333-337. Targarona EM, Martinez J, Balague C, Trias M. Abdominal wall metastasis following laparoscopy. Br J Surg 1994; 81:1547-1548.
Thurer RL. Video-assisted thoracic surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 56:199-200. Walker WS, Ccraig SR, Leaver A, Yap PL. Immunology in minimally invasive thoracic surgery versus open surgery. Jornal de Pneumologia 1997; 23(S1):S20-21. Walh GL, Nesbitt JC. Tumor implantation after thoracoscopic ressection of a metastatic sarcoma. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 59:215-6.
Wexner CD, Cohen SM. Port site metastases after laparoscopic colorectal surgery for cure of malignancy. Br J Surg 1995; 82:295-298.
Yim APC, Liu HP. Complications and failures of video-assisted thoracic surgery: Experience from two centers in Asia. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 61:538-41.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.