The pitfalls of managing AUR in patients with prostate malignancy are the same as those for BPH. In addition, it is important to consider the following factors:
1. Is the episode of retention secondary to a known prostate cancer and if so, is BOO caused by local disease progression?
2. If the patient is known to have prostate cancer, ensure current status is known with respect to stage, grade, and any previous therapy.
3. PSA will be elevated secondary to both AUR and CUR, so this does not necessarily represent disease progression.
4. Is the patient on androgen deprivation therapy already; if not, is this appropriate?
5. In some circumstances, specifically hormone refractory prostate cancer, palliative measures are the most appropriate.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.